Analytics
1.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Multiple pages showing same source / medium UTM

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys.

I'm currently pulling a report together and have found multiple pages all using the same source / medium UTM. This is an issue for me, because I only created the one. I wondered if it's also showing subsequent pages which originated with the UTM, but the number of additional pageviews don't add up to the total number for the UTM's landing page.

Also, the UTM's landing page is showing a different figure in the page report (under Behavior > Site Content > All Pages) than the campaign report is showing for the same UTM.

Am I going mad?

Thanks!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi John.

Yes, all subsequnt pages views within session are assigned with the same source and medium as the first page view.

You could check your landing page visits with Behavior > Site Content > Landing Page report and use source / medium as secondary dimention

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for that info, it's good to know my assumption was correct. Smiley Happy I'm still not clear on why the subsequent page views give a higher total than the landing page, though (landing page total: 4042, subsequent pages total: 15023). These figures are also split from other sources such as direct and search. Any ideas?

I've used source / medium as the secondary dimension - this is where I'm getting these figures from.

Thanks. Smiley Happy

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author John D
January 2017

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

If a visitor looked through 5 pages on your site strating with /page1.html from particular source1/meduim2 then source1/medium2 would add up 5 pageviews. Landing page would add up 1 pageview and subsequent pages add up 4 pageviews.

You could also switch to Aqcuisition > All Trafic > Source/Medium report for session aggregated data and use landing page as a secondary dimension

Re: Multiple pages showing same source / medium UTM

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm having a similar problem but with ENTRANCE counts on LANDING pages. I have a low volume website and in an email promo I had 3 links to different webpages of my site, each link used a different "Ad Content".  When I look at a Landing Page report, I see most Users arrived on my homepage from Ad Content that was linked to it (as I would expect). But it also shows a significant number of Users that arrived from Ad Content that was NOT used as a link to the homepage -- Users clicking that Ad Content should have gone to a different page of my site.

e.g.  

Landing-PageA     from MediumA/SourceB/Ad-ContentC  100 (correct - AdContentC is the only link to PageA in the email)

Landing-PageA     from MediumA/SourceB/Ad-ContentD  22 (incorrect - this Adcontent was not in the email with a link to PageA -- so how did a User get counted as an Entrance going from ContentD to PageA?)

Thanks for any insights.