Analytics
2.1K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Multiple URLs direct to single website - How do I combine into single Google Analytics Acc?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have several urls that all direct to the same website.

Example:

Main Website URL:

www.waitingforgodot.com   6,551 views

with the following re-directed to the above main site:

www.waiting-for-godot.com 381 views

www.waiting_for_godot.com 243 views

www.waiting4godot.com 181 views

Each is a variation of our company name, is like the example above. Currently each directs to the main site. So each has it's own Google Analytics site.

Question.

-- Is the traffic information duplicated from each contributing site onto the traffic of the receiving site as it is forwarded? 

So in the example - does the 6,551 contain the redirected traffic from the other sites or does the main site traffic count stand alone?

-- Can all the contributing sites be combined with the original site to give one single Google Analytics report without any duplication of traffic data from re-directed sites?

How would this goal be best achieved? 

Is it done on the Google Analytics side or on the Hosting configuration site side (ie. Godaddy?)

Please advise.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Multiple URLs direct to single website - How do I combine into single Google Analytics Acc?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

I would recommend you to use a single GA property for the main site and redirect the other domains to it. Use utm tracking parameters for each redirected URL like:

http://www.waitingforgodot.com/?utm_source=www.waiting4godot.com&utm_campaign=redirects&utm_medium=r...

You'll be able to see traffic from your redirected domains under Acquisition -> Campaigns and you don't have to worry about duplicate counting.

Let me know if you have questions.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital