Analytics
4.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Multiple URLs direct to single website - How do I combine into single Google Analytics Acc?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have several urls that all direct to the same website.

Example:

Main Website URL:

www.waitingforgodot.com   6,551 views

with the following re-directed to the above main site:

www.waiting-for-godot.com 381 views

www.waiting_for_godot.com 243 views

www.waiting4godot.com 181 views

Each is a variation of our company name, is like the example above. Currently each directs to the main site. So each has it's own Google Analytics site.

Question.

-- Is the traffic information duplicated from each contributing site onto the traffic of the receiving site as it is forwarded? 

So in the example - does the 6,551 contain the redirected traffic from the other sites or does the main site traffic count stand alone?

-- Can all the contributing sites be combined with the original site to give one single Google Analytics report without any duplication of traffic data from re-directed sites?

How would this goal be best achieved? 

Is it done on the Google Analytics side or on the Hosting configuration site side (ie. Godaddy?)

Please advise.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Multiple URLs direct to single website - How do I combine into single Google Analytics Acc?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

I would recommend you to use a single GA property for the main site and redirect the other domains to it. Use utm tracking parameters for each redirected URL like:

http://www.waitingforgodot.com/?utm_source=www.waiting4godot.com&utm_campaign=redirects&utm_medium=r...

You'll be able to see traffic from your redirected domains under Acquisition -> Campaigns and you don't have to worry about duplicate counting.

Let me know if you have questions.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital