Analytics
2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Multiple Hostnames when clicking link in new window (Error stemmed from cross-subdomain tracking)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Since we have one UA code to track multiple subdomains, I recently set it up to append the hostname before the URI in our GA account.  This works perfectly, but now when I click any link it opens up the hostname twice in the website preview window.

Example:

Report shows www.websitename.com/page1/category

When I click the link, it tries to open up http://www.websitename.comwebsitename.com/page1/category

Any ideas? I tried searching and couldn't find a fix.

Multiple Hostnames when clicking link in new window (Error stemmed from cross-subdomain tracking)

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Alexander,

This is a well-known problem. I would recommend not to append the hostname before the URI if you'd like to open those URLs from the GA interface.

Instead of that, I would use a hostname as a secondary dimension if I would like to analyze the performance of different pages (+ a table filter to specify the hostname)

You can also build custom reports to make it easier (it's easier to apply filters there). Here's one of the examples.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Taavi