Analytics
3.8K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Moving from a sub-domain to sub-folder

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi - we are moving our blog from a sub-domain blog.companyname.com to a sub-folder companyname.com/blog. Our blog has it's own Google Analytics ID and we'd like to keep it that way. I know I don't need to change anything tracking wise since the code is URL agnostic, but I don't want to mess up our historical data. 

I'm worried that Google will see traffic to /blog-article-name-1/ in the past and not be able to match it to /blog/blog-article-name-1/

How can we make sure that Google is able to connect all the URLs together for seamless reporting?

Hoping someone here can help! 

Re: Moving from a sub-domain to sub-folder

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Amanda S,

Correct me if I am wrong.
So previously, you had blog URLs like --> blog.companyname.com/blog-article-name-1
It was tracked in analytics as '/blog-article-name-1'  (not implemented domain+path)

Now you would be having URLs like ---> companyname.com/blog/blog-article-name-1

So if you want to track it as '/blog-article-name-1' (as previously done) then go to view filters and include search and replace filter : ^\/blog 
Google Doubt 34.png

This will result in the url  'company.com/blog/blog-article-name-1'  getting tracked as '/blog-article-name-1'

Do check it in Test View if its all good. 

Thanks,
Ritwik B 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks. Is there anything I should do with the default URL in the property settings ?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Amanda S.

Default URL : companyname.com.
It is only used in content reports and will not affect data collection process.

Thanks,
Ritwik B