Analytics
2.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Moving Acquisition Data to the correct Channel Grouping

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

We have quite a lot of our traffic being assigned to the wrong channel grouping.

For example, social traffic being attributed to referral channel grouping instead of social, and likewise some direct and organic traffic being attributed to referral.

Some examples below (source/medium)

twitter.com/referral

pi.pardot.com/referral (this is our marketing automation platform)

google.com/referral

linkedin/cpc

If I update the Default Channel Groupings in the following way, will this sort the problem.

For example within Social I set:

System Defined Channel matches Social OR source/medium exactly matches twitter.com / referral

And then withing Referral, I set:

System Defined Channel matches Referral AND source/medium does not match twitter.com / referral

(and follow the similar principles for the others)

Will this work?

Thanks

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Dliley,

First create a new channel grouping to test the above before you make any changes to the default channel grouping.

Pardot uses an iframe so this is why the source/medium appears as a referral look into this as i believe any form submitted will cause your traffic to be attributed to referral.

Use UTM tagging on all your social links prior to updating the groupings.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Adam, I've updated the Default Channel Grouping in our Test view so just waiting to see the results now. Do you think I would be better creating new channel grouping rather than updating the Default one even if it's in the test view?