Analytics
2.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

More users than sessions?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi

I've set-up some custom dashboards.

I have:

1. Show the following metric: Users / Filter this data: Only show > Page > Begins with > /solutions

2. Show the following metric: Sessions / Filter this data: Only show > Page > Begins With > /solutions

This has result in the following figures:

1. 149

2. 34

How can there be more users than sessions? Surely at the very least if 149 Users visited this page there should be 149 sessions?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: More users than sessions?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Sessions are 'counted' on the landing page - the first page of the session. If you are looking at pages in your report, the 'sessions' column shows the number of times that page was the first page in the session. If you want the number of sessions that included the page, use 'unique pageviews' instead.
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

How can there be more users than sessions in Landing page?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Sessions are actually associated with the first interaction hit, which could be an event. If so, there would be no session associated with pageview.  

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.