Analytics
4.9K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

More number of sessions than Pageviews

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

What conditions/circumstances can lead to more number of sessions than pageviews?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Sessions comprised entirely of events with no pageviews.

VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I don't understand how an event can trigger a session. Because, technically the event is taking place on a page. So, the session will start with that page load and then a user triggers an event. Am i missing something here?

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Do you have sessions where page view = 0 ? Try looking for these in your reports, and then see if you can identify some kind of common behaviour which may cause these. I'd be looking for events measuring time on page, scrolling behaviour or video tracking. 

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Well, i am still not sure how a session can be based entirely on events. Let's say my event is tracked on www.google.com URL. For a user to trigger that event, he first lands on the URL www.google.com. So, technically, this session will have one page view and one event. And, as far as i understand, it will be true for all events, which is taking place on a particular page. Please enlighten me.

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

For example, you could have a situation where a user lands on a page, waits 30+ minutes and then triggers an event. This will be a session, with an event but without a pageview.

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thank you John. This helps.