Analytics
3.6K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Mobile traffic source in reports

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Google Analytics question for the smart folks here...

If I live in town A, but travel to town B and use my mobile phone, is the visit in Google Analytics going to show the visit from your home location (Town A) or the location where you're traveling and searched (Town B)?

If I live in town A, but travel to town B and use my mobile phone, is the visit in Google Analytics going to show the visit from your home location (Town A) or the location where you're traveling and searched (Town B)?

Or does the location of some "home base" of the mobile carrier determine the Geo Location in Google Analytics?

I remember years ago hearing that mobile traffic actually originated from wherever the carriers group of IP addresses were located but can't find any information about this on the web.

My assumption would be that Google would record the location of the mobile user based on where they accessed the web via their mobile device, whether that's an airport WIFI or a cell tower, but I don't have any data to back that up.

Any insight in appreciated.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Mobile traffic source in reports

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Andre,

GA does not publish how they determine location; however, I can tell you that I have tested this with mobile devices and find that it's very close if not the same as what AdWords publishes.

At first, in Real Time, the user is identified by the service provider IP but GA then uses other ques (depending on how much the user has opted in via location settings) such as cell tower id, wifi networks in range, etc. to fine tune and get as close to the actual location as possible.

This is what AdWords publishes:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453995?hl=en

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn