Analytics
6K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Mobile session length

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

I know that Google Analytics ends a session after 30 minutes of inactivity. What I'm wondering about is how this applies to mobile traffic. If the mobile device goes to sleep or locks the screen, does this end the session? If the user has a web browser window open, then switches to a different app for 10 minutes and comes back, is this the same session (does switch the active app end the session)? Following on the last point, would it count those intervening 10 minutes of inactivity as part of the session length (thus diluting that metric, since they weren't active)?

Mobile session length

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Litmon.

1. Same session

2. If it visit another page in same session (or simply refresh it), it would  count those intervening 10 minutes of inactivity as part of the session length (and time on page).

Mobile session length

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Ok, so it sounds like you're saying switching apps does not count as ending a session? And neither does the phone locking? It's only the 30 minute window that counts...

Mobile session length

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Litmon. Session duration and time on page are calculated from last interection registered. More info: https://www.kaushik.net/avinash/standard-metrics-revisited-time-on-page-and-time-on-site/