Analytics
6.6K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Mobile app new users data discrepancy

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

When I look at the number of new users acquired during certain time differs based on when I back track the number as such below. 

1-15th March: new users: 2000 when I check it on 16th March 

same time period but when I check in on 21st March: 1500

where my 500 new users have gone? GA automatically deduct unintall users from new users who have unistalled during 16th and 21st? 

This is quite wierd to me

thank you so much in advance

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Mobile app new users data discrepancy

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

New Users within the time frame March 1 to March 15 = 2,000
New Users within the time frame March 1 to March 21 = 1,500

If the above is what you are seeing that is because New Users are only a New User if they have not visited within the designated time period before, by extending the time period you have a better chance of getting additional Return Users, so if the above is what you are seeing this means that you had 500 fewer New Vistors during the time frame because you had more Return Visitors during the time frame. So for every New Visitor you had 1.25 (25% more) Return Visitors. I say 25% because I would also assume that during this same time period you had some additional New Vistor but even some of them became Return Visitors.

If on the other hand you see the following:

New Users within the time frame March 1 to March 15 as reported on March 16, 2016 = 2,000

New Users within the time frame March 1 to March 15 as reported on March 21, 2016 = 1,500

Then I am assuming that GA did fully calculate and process all hits to your site by March 16, 2016 and completed the counts at some point after that date but prior to March 21, 2016.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you, Brian that helped my a lot. My case is the second scenario.

So your recommendation is to wait for couple of days to analyse more precisely? Do you know how long it takes for GA to complete counting?

Thanks,
Simpson

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
GA can take 24-48 hours to completely run and store information. You may still see some descrepencies based upon sampling and if any quotas have been met. So dont be surprised if the same report for the same period of time gives you different totals from one day to the next.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
What about the users who have uninstalled during that time period? would it be calculated? so I got minus 500?

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
I do not think GA subtracts users who uninstall an app, but your New User is only a New User the first time they come to your site after that any subsquent sessions will be a Return User so if 500 of your app users came back a second, third or more times they would no longer be considered a New User but rather a Return User.