Analytics
3.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Mobile Segments vs Mobile Reports

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So I'm trying to understand the difference between my Mobile Reports and Mobile Segments because they're showing different results.

The Acquisitions>Mobile>Overview report shows 189,425 sessions.

The Custom Mobile Segment shows 170,082 sessions (This is based on our Mobile URL).

The Google Provided Mobile Segment shows 189,969 sessions.

Now, obviously the Mobile Segment and Mobile report have a minuscule difference, but I'm still confused as to why it is different in the first place. Aren't they the same thing? I'm trying to understand what the difference between the segment and report is and what data they're based on.

I set up a custom segment with our mobile URL in Hostname filter field because we wanted to know how many sessions were occurring for our mobile website.

Report vs Segments.png

1 Expert replyverified_user

Mobile Segments vs Mobile Reports

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Stephanie,

assuming that you defined your custom segment by hostname, try to set up a flat-table custom report with Device Category and Hostname to see the relevant intersections between both dimensions. Probably, there is some traffic  accessing your mobile site with non-mobile devices.

Regarding the difference between report and segment numbers, there might be data sampling involved. If applicable, differences should disappear at some point if you decrease time range.

Best, Christoph