AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Mobile Device Model - Seeing "iPhone" next to normal iPhone models

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey there,

Looking at the Mobile Device Model dimension gives me all the different iPhone models (iPhone 6s, iPhone 5 ...). However, I always see a model called just "iPhone" without any model number, having by far the most visits compared to other models. 

Does anyone know how this "iPhone" model is defined? I highly doubt that this is the first gen iPhone since the share of visits is very high.

Thanks

Re: Mobile Device Model - Seeing "iPhone" next to normal iPhone models

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Apple, however, doesn’t pass on the full device information to Google Analytics as simply, instead you will see all iPhones grouped under Apple iPhone, likewise iPads and iPods are not broken out by model. To break out Apple devices by generation you would need to use screen resolution alongside Mobile Device Info, either in a secondary dimension or advanced segment, as each generation (though not the models within them) uses a different resolution.

https://searchenginewatch.com/sew/how-to/2308358/what-you-can-learn-from-google-analytics-mobile-rep...

Re: Mobile Device Model - Seeing "iPhone" next to normal iPhone models

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the answer.

Are you sure this source is still correct? Back in 2013, it seems, the dimension "mobile device model" didn't exist yet.
Also, mobile device model does show separate Apple iPhone models as you can see in the screenshot.