Analytics
5K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Mobile Analytics: Incorrect User count for each unique AccountID pairing

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am a non-developer trying to analyze reports coming from event interactions done on our mobile app.  

I have the following questions I need to answer:

1. Given a particular eventCategory-eventAction pair, I want to know how many users triggered each event.

2. Given a particular eventCategory-eventAction pair, I want to know all accountIDs of users who triggered each event.

I did the following:

1. Event Categories and Actions were setup in the app for triggering

2. Added and used a custom dimension (scope: User) to track AccountID

3. Used GA Query Explorer (https://ga-dev-tools.appspot.com/query-explorer/) to plug the query and get the numbers.

Concerns with the Result: 

• I was able to get data on which AccountIDs triggered each event
  • The problem is that GA is reporting 16 Users for each unique event-accountID pairing. 
  • I am now lead to believe that if I remove the accountID dimension, is GA actually giving me a bloated User count? 
  • What's causing this and how do I fix this?

GAQueryExplorerResultGAQueryExplorerResult

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Mobile Analytics: Incorrect User count for each unique AccountID pairing

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Instead of using the ga query-explorer what does Analytics show you.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

GA Dashboard is not helpful at all actually. First, the Events dashboard (Behavior > Events > Top events) is only measurable via the following metrics: Total Events, Unique Events, Avg Value, Total Value. This does not answer my question regarding how many users triggered which events.

Second, I need event distinguishers up until the Event Labels. The Analytics dash only allows me to filter by Event Category + Event Action, or Event Category + Event Label. This is what I'm talking about:

<edited by a Community Manager as noted below>
Note: this post has been edited by a Community Manager, per Community Posting Guidelines. This was done in order to remove a screenshot that included private information such as an email address, an account ID, or similar 
Please feel free to re-post the screenshot after having removed or entirely obscured any and all information that has the potential to put your accounts and/or your privacy at risk, when published in a public forum. Thank you for your understanding.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Roy C
June 2016

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Ok so I just set my system up in GA to "Event Category" and "Event Action" I then customized the built in report and added the metric "Users" to it and now my report shows me the following:

Event Category, Event Action, Total # of Events, Total # of Unique Events, Event Value, Average Value, and # Users

I still have the ability to drill down into each to more granular details, if I have some free time tomorrow and your online perhaps I can help walk you through what I did and how I did it. I can then use the advanced filter to get only the data for a particular pairing of Event Category and Event Action.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
You are mighty helpful! I have just gone ahead and tinkered with the Reports > Customization tabs and also got the same results. Thank you so much for your brilliant idea. Just to keep you an update as well, I have also found a lead on the possible duplicating User count. It appears we have never implemented the User ID tracking mechanism of GA yet. We're going to do that first then compare the data using the Report Customization you just taught me.

Thanks a lot. Cheers!