Analytics
4.6K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Mix of New vs. Returning Visitors

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

My website Calibre11.com has had a very consistent mix of new vs. returning visitors for the last 5 years- approx. 30% returning and 70% new.

Yesterday at noon I had a traffic for the first part of the day of around 3000 total visitors, with the "usual" mix of new vs. returning for those hours. When I check again around 4pm I noticed:

• Total visitors had gone down from 3000 to ~2000
  • The mix of new vs. returning had changed significantly- not just for those hours after mid-day, but for the whole day- the mix was now 95% new and 5% returning- so I now had a different (lower) traffic number for say 7am than I had a few hours earlier

That 95/ 5 split has been consistent today as well. Nothing has been changed in any tracking codes...in fact, no changed have been made to the site

My guess is that there are some categories of returning visitors who are no longer having their visits counted. Does this sound plausible?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David C
October 2016

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi David,

Lost of people have experienced the same issue since 10/25/16. There's a pretty long thread about this here. Lots of reports of users missing large chunks of data on 10/25/16, correlated with the increase in %New Sessions. My site has been between 40%-45% for the past 2 months but is at 65%+ from 10/24/16 - today. Haven't seen an official response from Google yet. 

Best,

Mike 

Edit: corrected start date from 10/24 to 10/25. 

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David C
October 2016

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi David,

Lost of people have experienced the same issue since 10/25/16. There's a pretty long thread about this here. Lots of reports of users missing large chunks of data on 10/25/16, correlated with the increase in %New Sessions. My site has been between 40%-45% for the past 2 months but is at 65%+ from 10/24/16 - today. Haven't seen an official response from Google yet. 

Best,

Mike 

Edit: corrected start date from 10/24 to 10/25.