Analytics
4.1K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Misconfiguration somewhere between Google Sitesearch and Analytics?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

See attached a screen shot of % Search Exits from Google Analytics - the highlighted date coincides with when we switched the site to SSL. Any ideas what could be causing this? I can see it was an earlier problem as well, then appears to have fixed itself, then has re-occured,.

We're using the no-ads (paid version) of Google Sitesearch.

Any suggestions appreciated.

sitesearch.jpg

2 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hey Stuart, 

Did you take a look at the specific search terms during the period of lower search exists. This period suggests that people searching your site found what they were looking for compare to the average whereas over 50% of your traffic that searches something on your website immediately leaves. 

Any ideas? 

- Josh

Joshua, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Re: Misconfiguration somewhere between Google Sitesearch and Analytics?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks but no, I don't think that is it. I took a look at two chunks of data, one before the jump and the other after. 8 of the 10 top search terms are the same - and the material on our site hasn't changed, so I think unlikely that all of a sudden the number of people not finding a useful answer tripled overnight. The two charts below should illustrate the change. 

wtf2.png

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hey Stuart, 

You'll have to provide more information about website setup. Was your traffic being sent between two different domains or sub-domains? Scratching my head right now ... 

Joshua, Rising Star

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Peculiar isn't it! This is a longer chart that shows when it first occurred and as a switch to SSL wasn't involved when it first jumped, I don;t think that is the culprit.

The setup is pretty standard (I think) all the traffic comes in at the main www. domain and there is certainly no corresponding traffic spikes that could explain this away. This is why I thought it could be a config issue, but I have no idea where to even start looking.

What other website setup info would be useful to try and diagnose this?

Thanks for your help.

Stuart

strange.png

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Yah I'm scratching my head here ... my automatic presumption would have been a change in traffic quality but it would be more a curve unless <90% of your traffic is from paid sources ... 

This suggests it's an implimentation issue, either of your search feature or the website itself. Have you tried looking at the "behaviour flow" to see if the traffic is dropping unexpectedly? Maybe the sessions are being cancelled for some reason? 

I'm tagging in @Arnold M , maybe he can help

Joshua, Rising Star

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Traffic is 100% organic - no paid traffic. The overall traffic is a couple of million pageviews a month, so given daily searches are <1,000 a day nothing is jumping out at me on behaviour flow - though that is a screen am not very familiar with.

I think has to be a config issue, but the implementation is pretty standard...

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone,

I will jump in and try to help you as well. Smiley Happy

% Search Exits tells us the percentage of searches in which the user simply left our site after searching instead of clicking any of the results pages that we offered.

We can think of the % Search Exits metric as the site search equivalent of Bounce Rate which tells us how many users left our site after viewing only a single page, by default. Have you configured any interaction events as well during that time?

Stuart, could you please share the same graph with us (from January 2014 to December 2016) and compare different devices? (mobile, desktop)

You can simply create 2 different segments in order to get it.

Here's an example:

Screen Shot 2016-12-12 at 15.42.59.png

What was the bounce rate during that time? Could you please share this graph as well?

There can be many different cases. Hopefully, we can figure it out together.

Cheers,

Taavi

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Taavi,

Below are two charts that catch the most recent change - upper is desktop (around 45% of traffic), lower is mobile (around 55% of traffic). So, doesn't seem to be device related.

search2.png

Rising Star
# 10
Rising Star

A drop that sharp is almost always an implementation issue. Even switching off a campaign would not cause such a massive drop so abruptly.

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.