Analytics
7.6K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Medium CPC changing to referral on second click

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Looking at the multi-channel reports, we're seeing that people are clicking on our Google and Facebook ads, and then converting in a later session. 

However, the landing page on that second session isn't a page we are linking to from any source.

(screen shot: Top Conversion Paths)

What I think is happening is that somehow on the click from the landing page, the session and the medium are resetting, but the source is staying the same. When I've seen this before, usually when the session resets, the source for the second session becomes direct.  

This seems to only be happening when the medium is listed as cpc. 

Looking at the second page dimension after a paid source, it shows that the next page is (not set). 

(screen shot: Second Page Not Set)

These sources look like they're leading to a bounce. What would case the session to reset, but retain the referring source, but not the medium?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nate G
August 2016

Re: Medium CPC changing to referral on second click

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
It turns out this was a case where Google Tag Manager was not playing well with Ruby on Rails and Turbolinks.

We tested a few online solutions, but none of them worked, which is why I'm not linking to them.

What we did find was that Turbolinks was causing other issues on our website, not just the Google Tag Manager issue. Our solution in this case is that we're removing Turbolinks. This may not be an ideal solution for some people, but that's the course of action that is solving our problem.

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Are you okay to post here the site URL? I'd like to test it.

Cheers!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
https://www.jellytelly.com

Essentially, we're going from the home page to the pricing or about pages. The only thing I see in the debugger is if I open a page in another tab, the session changes.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello @Nate_G,

Have you ever posted organic content on your business facebook page that would link to the pricing url? A facebook.com / referral is usually an instance where people come from a link posted on facebook to the url listed under the landing page url path.

I do not see the domain changing and your ga still remains on your website so I do not believe the utm parameters are dropping off, as suggested in your first comment.

Let me know if this helps!

Nick

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Nate,

Have a look at the post below. You'll find the reason and how to fix it.

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Using-AdWords-with-Google/Adwords-conversion-tracking-code...

Page transition to Pricing doesn't load the page in the traditional way but all the content is AJAX loaded. You need to fix the GA tracker in order to preserve referral information.

Read the articles in the above link. Let me know if it's clear or whether you need further help.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Okay, we have figured out that instead of having to do with AJAX, it's got to do with Google Tag Manager not playing well with Ruby on Rails and Turbolinks. 

We are testing a couple of fixes now because nothing we've found online has worked. When we do get one that works for us, I will post it here. 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nate G
August 2016

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
It turns out this was a case where Google Tag Manager was not playing well with Ruby on Rails and Turbolinks.

We tested a few online solutions, but none of them worked, which is why I'm not linking to them.

What we did find was that Turbolinks was causing other issues on our website, not just the Google Tag Manager issue. Our solution in this case is that we're removing Turbolinks. This may not be an ideal solution for some people, but that's the course of action that is solving our problem.