Analytics
1.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Median instead of Average

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

Is there a way to view the median statistics rather than the average?  Average can get skewed greatly if there are outliers.  Appreciate the guidance.  

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Luc D
April 2016

Re: Median instead of Average

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Marko sorry when I entered the formula GA truncated my entire message repsone after that (I assume it thought it was code), it was much longer but in essence it agreed with you if you can get a sum of your session duration for a period then you can do it but I dont see a metric for that. I get the data and report it on a monthly basis to my users reporting dashboard (outside of GA) but I do so by exporting the data and importing it into excel using automated scripts. This then gets displayed in the sharepoint users dash board. We give them median, average, minimum and maximum so they get a full picture.

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
You can use Calculated Metrics to create up to five (5) custom metrics in free version, (I think 20 in paid version) by adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing standard metrics. So in theroy you should be able to.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I don't think it's possible in the free version of GA. You can't use Calculated Metrics to get Median statistics like "median session duration", if no session level data available.

But if you have the premium GA, you can export session and hit level data into your datawarehouse, for example BigQuery
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/3437618?hl=en
you can see BigQuery data schema here:
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/3437719?hl=en&ref_topic=3416089
And then you can calculate median or do any more complicated statistics study, because you have "raw data" in hand.

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

If you know the math formula you should be able to get the median data ( the formula for median is {(n + 1) ÷ 2})

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Without session-level raw data, you can only calculate the median of average session duration for multiple days or other dimensions. But you can't find the median within the aggregated data. Calculated Metrics can only work with the existing metrics from the aggregated data ---That's why it doesn't work.

I'm not a statistician so there might be some formula out there I don't know, but it's certainly not that one. That formula only tells the median is the {(n + 1) ÷ 2}th value in the sorted population, but you don't know what it is because there is no session-level raw data in the free version of GA.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Luc D
April 2016

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Marko sorry when I entered the formula GA truncated my entire message repsone after that (I assume it thought it was code), it was much longer but in essence it agreed with you if you can get a sum of your session duration for a period then you can do it but I dont see a metric for that. I get the data and report it on a monthly basis to my users reporting dashboard (outside of GA) but I do so by exporting the data and importing it into excel using automated scripts. This then gets displayed in the sharepoint users dash board. We give them median, average, minimum and maximum so they get a full picture.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
I'm not saying it's impossible. I said it can be done by exporting session level raw data into excel, sort and find the median and whatever you want and report on a daily basis ----All those just require a premium GA account.