AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.4K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Measuring Individual Session Duration

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello!

In addition to reporting monthly sessions and bounce rates, I have also been asked to report the following:

# of sessions lasting between 0-1 min.

# of sessions lasting between 1-5 min.

etc.

I can't find this information in my dashboard.

Thanks!

Re: Measuring Individual Session Duration

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Rich,

You could create custom segments!

Add Segment > New Segment > Behavior > Session duration per session (less than or equal to) 60 [since in seconds]

Not 100% on how to see the number of sessions between 1-5 mins, but you could create another segment that accounts for: session duration per session (less than or equal) to 300 seconds, and just subtract the difference.

Hope that helps!
Maitri

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ok, thanks Maitri. I'll have to track this info for every one of our sites, so I'm not sure this is the most expedient.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello everybody,

another option: Click on "Audience" -> "Behaviour" -> "Engagement". There you'll find the sessions devided by duration.

But please notice: If someone visits your website without any other interaction (i.e. he/she leaves the landing page after 10 sec oder 10 min) his/her session wil be countered as 0 seconds (independent of teh "real" time on this landing page). Google Analytics needs at least a second time stemp to calculate a time difference (i.e. session duration).*

Bye. Nils

* https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/AdWords-Tracking-and-Reporting/Can-average-session-duratio...