Analytics
1.8K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Measurement protcol reporting wrong device

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

I'm currently using MSP to track offline activity after getting lead info. When trying to identify what was the device of the leads that had that offline activity all the leads, except for Adwords, were 100% from desktop. It's definitely not likely that to happen, because about 80% of the traffic is from mobile.

I think thats because a desktop PC is where the MSP hits are sent from, then the device is taken like that.

The strange here is that in Adwords´ case I have a more "normal" ratio of offline activity (50/50) vs al other source (0/100). I guess Adwords case is because the GA and Adw accounts are linked, or something like that, but I'm not sure. I had a very similar issue with geo location, but I could fix it with the &uip parameter. I've been loking for something similar for the device problem but without much success. Do you know any solution?

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Esteban D to preserve the device category and even more detailed info about the user device you would need to:

1) store the user agent in addition to clientId, IP and other utilities and

2) send the entire payload back via MP containing the user agent as well 

Check the MP parameter reference for more info here - https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/protocol/v1/parameters#ua

Hope it helps!

Kind regards,

Zorin

Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Yes, it helps! thank you for that info. Tho, the reason why Adwords hits are reported "correctly" is concerning me too, is there any explanation about this difference?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I would have to check - in AdWords interface the reports use a last adwords click model so it is expected but are you referring to adwords reports in analytics or in adwords?

Kind regards,

Zorin 

Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Ok. All this data is in Analytics