Analytics
8.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Meaning of Exit Rate on Behaviour overview when comparing segments

ACG
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
ACG
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Dear all,

I am trying to see similarities and differences between three segments of users on my site.

What is the meaning of % exit rate in the Overview behaviour report please? I understand exit rate on a page but in the overall behaviour report with no pages associated to these rates? 

Thanks very much, A. 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author ACG
March 2017

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

It is simply exits/pageviews.  If half of the pageviews were also the last page viewed in the session, then you would have a 50% exit rate.

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author ACG
March 2017

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

It is simply exits/pageviews.  If half of the pageviews were also the last page viewed in the session, then you would have a 50% exit rate.

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

ACG
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
ACG
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Mike S, that makes sense. It's an interesting one, I wonder how content companies use it generically...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I had this same question, thanks for posting. 

I feel I'm still missing the point of this metric though. Any more help available?

So the Overview Metric is total Pageviews/Total exits?    If my average rate is 50% does this mean only 50% of people are exiting my site during an active session? 

ACG
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
ACG
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Susan B,

I think it is calculated the other way round total exits/total page views. If you have 50% exit rate, as Mike S said, it means that half of your page views are also the last page viewed so for example imagine I have two page views and in one of those I didn't see any other page, after seeing that page I left, that would be 50% exit rate. Does this make sense? 

cheers, a.