AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Meaning of Behaviour Flow "Landing page" dimension unclear

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I find the meaning of the dimension "Landing page" unclear, when selected in the "Behaviour Flow" chart. The tool tip explains it as "The pages through which your visitors entered your site". But the actual pages listed as "Landing pages" are all pages on our site, so they are not something outside of our site through which to enter. So how then can "Landing page" be different from the "Starting page" which is the next header to the right? Or is "Starting page" not to be supposed to be understood as "the first page viewed on the site"? Yet, the traffic flows between "Landing page" and "Starting page" are not one-to-one, which indicates that they aren't the same thing. How is one to understand this?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Meaning of Behaviour Flow "Landing page" dimension unclear

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Kommunikation the landing page can be any page or pages on your site that a visitor to your site first hits ot lands on. Examples can be if a user goes to a search engine and search for "tell me about xxx.com" the results might show xxx.com/about.html if the person clicks on that link they will in essence land on that page in your website so for that session that users landing page was xxx.com/about.html, different users enter sites or land on different pages depending on how they got to your site they may have found a link that was on another site and followed it to your site which may have made them land on xxx.com/bestproductever.html or they may just enter xxx.com which would then take them to your home page so they would land on your home page. Does this clear things up a bit it is simply the page that they first entered your site on. Starting page does not correlate to landing page in behavior flow the starting page is the first page they interact with after entering your site if you closely at the report you will notice that landing page is the first column and starting page is the second column followed by 1st interact, 2nd interaction and so forth.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the reply,

your definition of "Landing page" is crystal clear, but what then is the meaning of "the first page they interact with after entering your site". How can the first page someone interacts with be different from the page they land on?

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Ok so they land on page A (Landing page) and then they go to page B (Starting page) then to page C (1st interaction) then on to page D (2nd interaction) and so on. It is just termology of course they interacted with page A otherwise they would not have gotten to page B. If they just came to your landing page and leave they did not actually interact with your site so they have to go to a second page that shows intent that they wanted your content or interaction.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ok, so that is a way to make sense of it - BUT, there is something disturbingly confusing if you are right, because what if I change the dimension to be "Source" for instance? The first column to the right of the dimension is still called "Starting pages", but it seems that the meaning of it must have changed, because, reasonably, now the "Starting page" really has to be the first page that the visitor reached at our site, right?

So I can accept your answer, if will you confirm that the meaning of "Starting pages" actually changes to mean "the second page seen", specifically when the "Landing page" is selected as dimension. Will you? ^__^

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Sure it is still called starting page because you changed your dimension to source and are no longer intrisictly interested in the actual landing page the source refferences how they arrived at your site and not where they landed at your site. If your trying to find confusing things in GA it is not hard almost every section has something that is confusing some areas deal with sessions traffic others user traffic, GA allows you to add metrics to a report that are a mismatch from the report design meaning user metrics can be added to session reports, not everyone has the same metrics available to them some individuals are missing Page and Page Title for example. The average session duration is typicaly less than the average user duration yet all users are needed for a session to begin. There are many confusing things about GA such as a sessions starts on the second page not the landing page, metrics do not even get counted unless the page loads completely read through the many threads here on this forum and you will see that confusion is the norm. I dont rely on the data for much more than trends over time I do not take the numbers to heart I use the data to get general ideas of how my sites are being used and how I can improve. I also dont rely on just GA I have server logs, application metrics, os metrics, platform metrics, surveys and user feed back that are all taken into account and in total give a much richer picture to base decisions on, but I am also not alone I have a team that helps collect and anlyze the data this is my sole job to collect analyze and recommend ways forward we have BI tools that we import the data into and we can explore the outlyers and see the patterns they have much better A/B testing capibilities and what if scenerios and I have the luxary of spending weeks if not months to make a decision our wheels turn slow here. GA is great gives some good insights and is free and is one of many valuable tools in the arsenal to make informed and rational decisions on next steps forward. dont get caught up in the nuasiances of the application look at the bigger picture in the behavioral reporting concentrate on how they move through your system and determine if that is how you intended f not figure out how to get them on the right path that after all is the real goal.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have never read that "a sessions starts on the second page not the landing page". In fact every where I look I see articles and documentation saying that a session starts with the initial hit, basically when the ga script runs for the first time, which must be the landing page for sure.

Given this, I'd like it if someone else could confirm whether the definitions of these analytic terms are as bizarre as they are implied to be.

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star
A session starts with an interaction

"Metric calculations: Sessions and New Users
It's possible for the value of the metric Sessions to be less than the value of New Users. The reason is that Sessions is not incremented in cases where a session only consists of non-interaction events. In contrast, New Users is always incremented when a new-user session occurs, even if the session only consists of non-interaction events. "
Source: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2731565?hl=en

So if my definitions above stand then you can land on a site but it will not count as a session if you do not interact with the site.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I believe there is a difference: A Session still starts on the first page / landing page, but the number of sessions, viewed as a quantity, excludes bounces (ie sessions with one page view).

I'm still not convinced, that the meaning of "Starting page" would sometimes be the same as the "Landing page" and sometimes not.

Meaning of Behaviour Flow "Landing page" dimension unclear

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Maybe things already cleared up for you. But this explanation of "Starting page" answers your question: https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Google-Analytics-Reports/Start-page-vs-landing-page/td-p/5...