Analytics
1.9K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Massive discrepancy between Bitly clicks and page views in Google Analytics. Why is that?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a massive discrepancy between the amount of clicks on a bitly link, according to bitly, and the amount of page views for that same page that the bitly link points to in Google Analytics. This has never happened before and it is a bit strange. I am talking like bitly says 800 clicks and GA says 80 page views. Something strange going on there. Maybe it is Bitly, but again, this has never happened before, so I don't know which is right and which is wrong. Anyone have some insight? 

Massive discrepancy between Bitly clicks and page views in Google Analytics. Why is that?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Did you ever get an answer here? I see a massive click discrepancy (200 vs 2) for bit.ly's I am using in my mobile app.

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

I'll try to answer:

<<Bitly records click data, Google Analytics reports on Page views and sessions. Google also samples data, while Bitly does not. In other words, Google will take a sample of your data and extrapolate that to estimate what it would be at 100%. With Bitly, you’ll see every click that occurs.>> from: https://bitly.com/blog/bitly-vs-google-analytics/

<<Bot’s click on all links posted to social platforms and Bitly is reporting on this as if it is normal traffic. >> from: https://www.quora.com/Why-are-Bitly-statistics-so-different-than-Google-Analytics

hope it answers.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'm looking at traffic from a mobile app sending Whatsapp (so no bots) and comparing the numbers to the clicks I see in Appsflyer

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

one possible scenario: users have enabled 'do not track', so low GA numbers.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

All are possible reasons. Thanks for sharing.