Analytics
4.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Massive difference between Google URL Shortener & Google Analytics Stat

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We see a huge different in stats shown between GA regular account AND Google url shortener reporting page. For the same period of time GA shows 5000 pageviews on 1 article while in GUS shows 15.000

What is going on?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

GUS counts clicks and GA counts pageviews, not all clicks result in a recorded pageview, it can happen that the user closes the page before the GA tracking code has a chance to send a hit to GA (other resources on the page delay the execution of the tracking script or there are communication problems between your site and GA servers).  You can check if your tracking tag is working properly on your site using the Google Tag Assistant Chrome extension.

Hope this helps

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Re: Massive difference between Google URL Shortener

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi. Tag Assistant shows all are in place.

Christos Vassilopoulos

Head of Digital Marketing

ChannelDoubler
483 GREEN LANES, LONDON, N13 4BS, UK

Greece: +30 210 5736264 , Mobile GR: +30 6977 452022

Fax: +30 211 2686 735

chris@channeldoubler.co.uk
URL:http://channeldoubler.co.uk

MACS (Snr) CP Certified

Description: Description: cp_logo_rgb_72ppi

Find me in:
LinkedIn
http://www.linkedin.com/in/channeldoubler

Facebook Profile
https://www.facebook.com/christosvassilopoulos1

Facebook Business Page
https://www.facebook.com/channeldoubler1

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I run the Tag Assistant. All are in place as it says.

I also checked (with Tag Assistant) another site. In that site it can't find the google analytics script BUT the script is there AND it shows results in Real Time tracking too...

So what is going on? See agreekadventure.com (the 2nd site). The 1st is (agreekadventure.gr)

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi,

agreekadventure.gr is OK but on agreekadventure.com seems to be a problem. I'm not sure, but it might be caused by cloudflare.

Try to add data-cfasync="false" to the opening script tag in the GA tracking code so it looks like this:

<script data-cfasync="false">

Let me know when done and I'll check it again for you.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Massive difference between Google URL Shortener &amp; Google Analytics Stat

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi. Thank you very much for your help.

Agreekadventure.gr seems OK (through Tag Assistant) but again I see huge differences in 3 different stats interfaces.

For example GA shows 400 Page Views on a specific page (other than the above mentioned), Google URL shortener shows 1400 and Cloudflare Analytics show close to google url shortener. All are Page Views metrics.

How can this be so different? I see the GA code is fine in the theme.

Cloudflare stats tracks Unique Visitors per unique IP. So Imagine I see CF traffic: 50.000 unique and GA Uniques are: 5000 for the same period of time. 

For .com I also see a huge difference between stats in GA, stats in Cloudflare Analytics, stats in google url shortener

I also added the your recommendation into .com script.

Can you please check? Both .gr and .com use Cloudflare by the way.

Update: I even checked with AWstats and they agree with cloudflare and url shortener! So something is not tracked in GA and seems to be Shortened url's either from Google url shortener or ow.ly or any other.