Analytics
6.4K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Massive difference between Analytics & Awstats

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I see a huge different in stats shown between Google Analytics and Awstats reports for the same Page/URL. For the same period of time Google Analytics shows 400 pageviews on 1 article while in Awstats shows 3000.

Before the tracking code was before </body> tag. Google Tag Assistant /Chrome extension/ said that the code should be moved in head.

Today I put the code before </head> tag. Whether this will solve the problem? 

My site is: http://check.bg with subdomain http://samoletnibileti.check.bg

Thank you in advance for any help!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Massive difference between Analytics &amp; Awstats

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

You cannot compare the two results, the Awstats figures are usually much larger because the data is collected from the web server logs and they include traffic generated by various search engine bots/crawlers. GA collects data only through the tracking code on the site that is fired only when a page is loaded in a web browser.

Having the tracking tag at the end of the source code can result in not tracking some of the visits if the user closes the page before the code has a chance to send the data to GA. You'll see if there is a difference now having the code in the head tag.

Hope this helps.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Moving the tracking code does not give any effect. Only for 1 day as period, for 1 Page/URL Google Analytics shows 146 pageviews while Awstats shows 1100.

The 1100 pageviews are correct, the FB campaign shows over 800 payed clicks to this link. Analytics shows only 146 pageviews... This is a huge difference. There is no way the difference of 1,000 visits be due to various search engine bots/crawlers.

I hope you can help me with some solution.

Thank you!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi,

Please also check your filters, incorrectly set up filters can block legit traffic, it's a best practice to always have an unfiltered view.

Let me know, we'll try to figure it out if you have any problems with your GA setup. Thanks!

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital