Analytics
1.9K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Massive Drop In Traffic

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Google is awesome! I had the Analytics installed on my website and at some point we had almost 6K Unique Visitors a day. On January 5/6 The site traffic massively dropped to nothing; I am a developer and I can tell you that the site is healthy and there are no errors in Webmaster tools; my robots.txt file have not changes and I made sure Google is allowed to crawl. Fetch and render show no issues. Scanned VPS for viruses and it's clean! Scanned the site and it's clean. Our website have no duplicate content and we have not been penalized in the Google webmaster tools. The only message I could see is in Blocked resources but I checked those and they were allowed by robots.txt (As I mention above, the render and fetch as google shows no signs of errors)  If anyone is familiar with with the Google Analytics here are the two print screens that shows the massive drop in traffic; If anyone can help us diagnose the issue that would be wonderful and will reward you for your efforts if needed. Thank you so much.

1.pngGoogle Analytics 01/11/162.pngGoogle Analytics 01/11/16

John

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Massive Drop In Traffic

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi John,

Did you check your site with Google Tag Assistant or GA Debugger Chrome extensions to see if your tracking tag is working correctly?

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Arnold,

Thank you so much for taking the time to help us out; Upon installing the Tag analysis I saw that there were 2 tags of Google Analytics: Same name, Same code! However, one of them at the top is in Green color with a sign : ) and the second one is blue with a sign : O / I am not sure what they means yet but it's a good start!

Any other ideas?

Thanks again,

John

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
You need to have only a single Google Analytics tracking tag for a property. Duplicate code results in inflated page views and related data but it cannot cause missing data.

Did you set up any filters recently?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi John,

This probably means that you have two installations of Google analytics
* One could installed via tag manager and the other may be a normal install
* You may have an iframe that loads a second instance if the code
You tracking code is located in the wrong spot

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ok removed one and kept the "working" version now; and it's green! Thank you Arnold; But Those issues should have no bearing on the stats report should it? Thanks again.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Bryan! I noticed that one was installed manually and the other through a plugin; again, I am still puzzled on the disappearance of all the traffic; Should that have caused it? Thank you for your time.

John

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
It should not have caused the disappearance of all traffic, did you check the filters in GA?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I checked and there are no filters in there;

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
If you can share your site URL maybe we can figure out what is happening.