AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Many visits have invalid landing page url

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This is a question about the landing page url that appears in the standard Analytics Acquisition Report, specifically this report:

Acquisition \ Overview \ All Channels - with a Secondary Dimension "Landing Page" 

The landing page url appears incorrect/invalid in many of the Direct, Social and Organic records. The url in the landing page column in the report has my site's domain after the page paramters. Here are two examples:

/login/www.mysitedomain.com

/photo/808/www.mysitedomain.com

Not all landing pages appear like this but most.

Can anyone tell me if this is just a Google Analytics report thing or is it accurately reporting the urls people are using to arrive at my site?

I cannot  understand where people would find these malformed urls.  Some come from tweets that I am creating but the url in these is correct. I wonder if Twitter url shortener could be messing urls up? Have to look into that.

But if they are out there then I need to address them as the bounce on these visits is almost always 100% or 0%.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Curtis v
February 2016

Re: Many visits have invalid landing page url

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

@Curtis v

Check this after 1/2 days, and please give an information - is it problem gone ok?

Take care, SH

View solution in original post

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

@Curtis v

I have the same problem in my history Smiley Happy

Go to Admin -> View and

screenshot-analytics.google.com 2016-02-07 21-07-06.png

Default Page must be "empty".

SH

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I did have www.mysitedomain.com in the Default Page field.

Re-reading the help for this field, I see it should be something like "index.html" or "/" not the actual domain. Haven't thought twice about this since I initially setup GA account.

What is interesting is that I have other domains with Google Analytics setup same way and they do not get the "www.mysitedomain.com" showing up the same way in the Landing Page results. Must be something to do with what is recognized as the actual default page for sites.

But I will clear out the Default Page field and see what happens. Hopefully it works like it did for you.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Curtis v
February 2016

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

@Curtis v

Check this after 1/2 days, and please give an information - is it problem gone ok?

Take care, SH

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Seba, it fixed my problem. Cheers!