Analytics
5K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Manual purchase under "not set"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

In my google analytics report I have a large number of orders comming from "Manual purchase". The orders is listed under "not set" source. Where does these orders "come from"?

When is an order registred in GA as "manual purchase"?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Lea,

What dimension is set to "Manual Purchase"? Even with that info, it's hard to say.  Sounds like a perhaps it's an offline purchase and pushed in via the measurement protocol or some other method; in which they have not set the source.  It might be best to ask your cart provider or ask around internally.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Theo

They do make offline purchases and add them manually to the webshop. But this should not be tracked in GA? And these "Manual purchase" are a very large number, that does not fit with the orders made manually in prestashop. So where it is possible in GA to see WHERE these orders are coming from? I have checked the tracking code and it is a standard tracking code - no error in this. 

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi Lea,

GA is Garbage in Garbage Out; in other words, whatever get's pushed in is displayed.  The manual purchase is getting there either through the API (the ecommerce code on the receipt page0 or via the measurement protocol in another process.

It's hard to say which without knowing their process.  If they have some hidden page on the site in which to enter orders, and this page has GA Ecommerce coding, then I would suspect this is how the data is being entered.   There are many ways to connect offline to online if that's what's happening but it's too in depth to layout a path to that in a post here.  

Regardless of how it's being pushed in, someone should look to see if it makes sense.  If it's classic ecommerce, then you can use the affiliation or use custom dimensions to flag this as a manual purchase.  You can create filters based upon these fields and either include them or exclude them in different views (always have an unfiltered view and test new filters in a testing view).

Lastly, since the numbers vary from the cart and GA, you should consider an audit of your ecommerce setup.  The best way to start is comparing the last, say 100 transactions or so (or more - you want several days of data) and check to see if any obvious problems surface.  That said, you will never have (without great effort) nor do you need parity between the cart and GA -- e.g. a 3% variance is not a cause for concern.

Best,

Theo Bennett 

Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Theo 

We have now enabled EXCLUDE INTERNAL TRAFFIC in order not to track web administrators or employees in google analytics. And see if this will reveal something about where the "Manual purchase" is coming from.

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Hi Lea,

Always best to test filters first, but if you have a steady IP, you should be able to exclude internal traffic that way.  You may consider also creating a view to INCLUDE this traffic as well; just so you have a sense of the whole pie.  Smiley Happy

Best,

Theo

Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Lea, 

I'm having the same issue on one of my accounts. Did you find a solution for this?