Analytics
4.6K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Make Advanced Segments Shareable at View level also

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I cannot see what Advanced Segments my colleagues have created without signing into their account (not always possible) or sitting down with them and reviewing them all.

A great update and solution would be to give people an option to be able to share the Advanced Segments which they create with "all people who have access to that View".

That way when I sign in I can see what people are using on my team; it immediately enhances the value of the View for everybody.

Sharing Segments individually has its uses, and an option to keep it private and share only with certain people is still good, but is quite clunky when wanting to share the majority of one's segments (especially with remote colleagues and users who are not that "into" web analytics); it adds often confusing steps to the process for stakeholders.

This is something I've wanted a long time and it still really bugs me.

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Make Advanced Segments Shareable at View level also

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Drew :-)
There is no need for you to log into their accounts.
They can create a bundle of all segments they have created for a particular View and share the bundle with you

To share multiple assets at the same time:

1. Sign in to your Analytics account.
  2. Select the Admin tab and navigate to the view from which you wish to share assets.
  3. In the VIEW column, click Share Assets.
  4. Select the assets you wish to share. (You can share all assets by clicking the checkbox in the top of the table.)
    Select share type - Share template link
  5. Click Share.

This can be done for Custom Segments, Goals, Custom Channel Groupings, Custom Attribution Models, and Custom Reports

These can also be shared separately, as individual assets too, not within a bundle.

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi thanks Bronwyn; appreciate the tip on sharing multiple assets at once.

However, what I am describing isn't the same thing. It's still based on a "push" concept. This has inherent flaws in that you can't always get someone else to do something for you—for multiple reasons including but not limited to:

Skill/knowledge, time, "importance" level of task to the other stakeholder (you are troubling them with your reporting need), people leave companies, change accounts, etc., etc., etc....

However if it's possible to just "pull" what you need, when you need it, without bothering anyone...

Perfect example: I am a consultant. I would like to see what Advanced Segments a client has created as a part of my process. Bothering them with the task of sharing them all represents an "unnecessary" hassle for both of us.

Rather, if there were a shared repository of Advanced Segments (and other customized reporting elements) at the View level (optionally can make elements "private" if people wish), then I could see everything and audit the account freely.

I get that sharing technically works (sort of). It's just suboptimal for many situations and doesn't really work that well for teams of varying skill levels.

On the other side, I also find it obtrusive and confusing to "push" segments/etc. out to stakeholders. If I were just able to say, "I created a Segment, go check it out in the repo", then there would be no weird installing of segments for clients who have a low maturity level with GA (or computers in general for that matter). Getting a cryptic link and installing something they don't understand is just kind of weird for people (I know, I've had to do it a bunch).

I found this page https://code.google.com/p/analytics-issues/issues/list but I don't see a place to leave GUI feature requests... Looks like it's mostly centred around the APIs.

But I went ahead and sent feedback via the little link in the footer of the GUI for now. Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Thanks for posting back @Drew C, I appreciate the added detail regarding what you are looking for in relation to the functionality and usage scenarios.

Thanks for leaving the feedback via the footer option, often you wont hear back about it but Google does take the time to go thru it, look into it etc.

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here