Analytics
2.6K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

MCF Grouping = Default Channel Grouping?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello,

I am trying to see why in the Conversions > Attribution > Model comparison Tool, I have different numbers depending on what I choose as primary dimension:

• there is the first option of "MCF Channel grouping"
  • or as second option the "Default Channel Grouping"

Depending which one I choose, the conversion numbers vary (for the same model), and as I have seen it is because the channels are taken into account in a different way: the first option takes 8 channels into account, the second option 9 (see pic).

My question is: are these two predetermined models by GA or could it be that some other member of the team has created one of those groupings? I have checked and there are no Channel Grouping manually created, although it could be I checked it wrong.

Also, if they are both made by GA (default), why the difference in numbers (for the same attribution model)??????

Thanks a lot!!

Sin título.jpg

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Arturo P as far as I can see these channel definitions have been edited in some way / customized (by someone who has access and ample permissions to do so) - hence the difference. In order to compare these you would need to see the underlying differences for each channel group definition.  

Hope it helps. 

Kind regards,

Zorin

Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thank you Zorin,

your suggestion leads me back to the original question: I was thinking that these apparently different channel groupings (since they have different names) actually differ in that one is only for the traffic that converts, but the other one is for all the traffic. In other words, that both originate in the same way (same configuration), and any editing of the default channel grouping would affect both in the same way.

This is what I was told by a Google agent at least.

If that is the case, why would editing the grouping by someone else affect only one of the grouping if they originate in the same rules configuration?

Note also that this difference in channels (one grouping includes Youtube, the otherone does not) only happens for a specific view. This difference does not happen when the view of All Data is selected.

Thanks again!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Arturo P
January 2017

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Arturo P

there are slight differences between both Default and MCF channel groupings:

MCF - https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1191184?hl=en 

Default - https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/3297892?hl=en

So editing Default channel grouping does not affect MCF channel grouping automatically. 

Channel groupings are assigned at a view level hence the difference in these 2 views you are looking at - one has a custom default Channel grouping (Youtube) and the other view has the definitions standardized so the numbers will be more in line.

Kind regards,

Zorin 

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thank you Zorin.

Sorry for my ignorance, but you say channel groupings are assinged at view level: which of the 2 groupings are you talking about when you say that, or which is the channel grouping that you mean is assigned at view level, the MCF or the Default one? Or both?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi - well both are - for instance default channel grouping may be different in 2 separate views in the same property.