Analytics
2.4K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Low Bounce Rate

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I am working with a client whose legacy site had a bounce rate of 1-3.5% across 12 months.

My first reaction was that this is an error. Has anyone had any experience with this.

How do I determine if this was the case and what are the possible causes.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Low Bounce Rate

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Kellie,
In most cases this is caused by a duplicate tracking code (Same UA code twice). Having two different UA codes should not cause this.

Reasons include:
* Duplicate tracking code
* iFrame is embedded which also fires a pageview
* Google Tag Manager installed along side your Google Analytics code
* Check your custom event tracking, - If you have an event that is far too simple to fire like a scroll, pop up or hover over this may cause an engagement which means the user did not bounce.

Thanks

Re: Low Bounce Rate

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi

Thanks for the information.
The revamp of the site has been up for about 2 weeks and is receiving a bounce rate of ~70%.

I have had some advise from someone in the Search profession that I wanted to run by you.
The old site with the low bounce rate: "the code was probably too low on the page – so was not recording sessions unless people had scrolled down the page – already engaged and less likely to leave the page at that point."

Thanks for your thoughts