Analytics
2.1K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Lost All Data from Previous Years

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

This is my first time asking for help in the forum! Please be gentle. Haha!

Anyway here is my problem I'm looking at around 19 websites that use google analytics. The problem is that all my historical data was lost starting around November. Some of the websites started generating new data this month (January) but no longer has any data from November moving back. 

I've begun some RCA into the problem and have also asked the devs to provide their input. However; I believer the historical data would not have been empty if it were the devs who somehow misplaced the code.performance drop.png

I've tried to take a closer look into the cause and have found some evidence of the problem but no direct way do conclusively point to a single cause of the problem. 

website issue.png

Out of the 19 websites that we currently have, 16 have no data and are showing that there is a code mismatch.

e-sports tracking code mismatch 1.png

All of our websites have no historical data after January.  They consistently show errors that are generally the same all throughout the 19 websites mainly, "TRACKING CODE MISMATCH ISSUE" and "NO HITS ISSUE".

At the moment we need some help with isolating the issue for our root cause analysis. 

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Adrian C

Kindly check if the GA code has been installed with proper tracking ID on all of your websites. You can use Tag assistance for it. 
I am assuming that you have created different properties for websites. So you'll need codes with different property ID (UA-XXXXXX-X)

Thanks,
Ritwik

Re: Lost All Data from Previous Years

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@Ritwik B Hi thanks for the quick reply! We've done a cursory analysis of the websites with the tag analysis and did a quick review of the codes we have on the website. 

You are right we are not using the same code and we have found a bit of an anomaly.

What is puzzling to us is, why did the UA codes change? I'm assuming this was done on GA's side since the codes were no longer the same as before.

We've done a quick audit between our previous deployments of the code on our websites and we're noticed a discrepancy. 

This were the UA Codes that were used prior the data loss:

strike-through1.png

The first 4 numbers are different from what we have currently and notice the strike through of the text.

resource not available.png

It's accompanied by this notice.

Please note how it is different from the UA codes that we have now.

non-strike through.png

Once again thank you for sharing your insights with us.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Adrian C ,

Kindly check if the account is the same for those different property ids. The default thing analytics would do: 
For eg: If the account id is '8910', you'll have property ids as UA-8910-1,UA-8910-2,etc
When you delete the property, the strike appears on its name. Its actually deleted after 35 days,until then you can restore it.
check: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1042032?hl=en

If the account is the same, then there might be scenario that the properties are moved from another account, which retains the property ID of previous accounts.
check: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6370521?hl=en

Thanks,
Ritwik