Analytics
2.8K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Looking for report to convince C-level management to invest in site speed improvements

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

i'm trying to convince C-level managers to spend more resources on improving the website speed, because my feeling/hypothesis is the current performance (avg page loadtimes often >5sec) is bad for conversion rates.

i need to come up with proof, and quantify the revenue loss due to high page load times.

what report(s) would you suggest is create/use?

i've been looking at a custom report that lists avg page load times and conversion rates for 'day of month', 'month of year' dimensions, metrics: sessions, avg page load times, ecommerce conversion rate.

However, for 3 big ecommerce sites i see no correlation...

thanks already.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Looking for report to convince C-level management to invest in site speed improvements

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Boeli,

First of all, If you are using GA for the site speed data, make sure that your data collection is adequate.  By default only 1 percent of hits get sampled for speed insights and up to 10,000 hits can be sent a day.  So if you are getting less than 1MM pageviews you should set your sample rate higher. 

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/field-reference#siteSpeedSa...

Once you have enough data collection you could plot speed vs conversion rate.

Secondly, yes, slow sites cost conversions.  Google did a study recently:

https://www.thinkwithgoogle.com/articles/mobile-page-speed-load-time.html

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

thanks!

does increasing the sample rate in GA tracker have any negative impact on the page load times on my site?

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi Boeli,

No, it just means that it will send site speed data more often in hits.

Best.

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn