Analytics
1.6K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Login using Facebook during checkout

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello everyone,

I'm working on a site that allows users to login to their site through Facebook. This option is available during the checkout process, and lots of people are using it, which is great, but it's messing with referral sources. It's worth noting that the checkout process all happens on a single page. 

I've used the GA debugger tool and here's what I've found: when a visitor uses this feature, the Facebook login prompt appears in a new pop-up window. As soon as they complete their authentication, the checkout page refreshes to log them in. The issue is that when the page reloads, it terminates their session and creates a new session with Facebook as the referral source. This is obscuring my attribution analysis and overstating the revenue for the social channel. 

Anyone else ever worked through something similar or have any tips on how to solve it? 

Thanks! 

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Davin P
November 2016

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

The following discussion + it's comments might be helpful to you

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/23923605/universal-analytics-and-signup-with-facebook?rq=1

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hey Davin, 

I will look into this further but it sounds like a good time to activate and use Analytics User ID feature. This will require a little bit of development but may be able to solve the issue at hand. 

Joshua, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Davin P
November 2016

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

The following discussion + it's comments might be helpful to you

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/23923605/universal-analytics-and-signup-with-facebook?rq=1

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks for pointing me to that discussion! It should be enough for the devs I work with to start chewing on for a possible solution. 

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

Interesting solutions @Bronwyn V !

Joshua, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’