Analytics
2.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Location Tracking for a VPN site

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

I have an intranet with GA installed. Any traffic coming from any city or province in Canada goes through an VPN in the main office in Toronto, thus GA records the location as Toronto.

Is there a work around to solve this issue? bearing in mind that the network setup will not change!

Thank you for your kind support and help.

Regards,

Sam

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Location Tracking for a VPN site

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi,

can you think of a way that you could access users location through his profile or starting page or any other mean?
--
To make bad day worse, spend it wishing for the impossible

Antti Nylund, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Did my answer solve your issue? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Otherwise keep on asking.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Unfortunately not.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Samer R
November 2016

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
In order to begin to solve this we would need to know what type of VPN is being created is it using the internet as its back bone or an intranet as its back bone. What protocol is being used such as IPSec, SSL, TSL, PPTP, Layer 2 Tunneling. By default most VPN's use a IP address that is assigned by the server they are trying to access and will thus give the same location to GA. Sometimes this can be configured differently but in most cases your IT department wont want to do so just so you can grab locations as it could lead to a security vulnerability.