Analytics
2.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Location Report, City ID / Criteria ID

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've been searching for hours and can't find anything on this.

Does anyone know why some cities are not in the location list for google analytics? I presume the sessions in cities not listed are being grouped with another city nearby but can't seem to find detailed information about why some cities are in the list and others are not. I don't care if it was grouped, but that means I need to know which city in my list has that data. I can't imagine they are all in the (not set) grouping...

I have searched the list of locations Google uses for reporting found here: https://developers.google.com/adwords/api/docs/appendix/geotargeting 

Is there any additional information on where Google gets this list from? I can't find any other resource that uses the City ID / Criteria ID number that google has listed. Or even yet a place that cross references this list to a census or postal service list of cities.

Specific Example: Peters Township PA is not in the google city list, however oddly the smaller McMurray PA is listed. They both sit in the larger zip code 15317 which is named Canonsburg. Canonsburg PA is in the city list. So if a user is in Peters Township visiting my website, which city is that session being attributed to instead?

Desperate to understand the basis for the list google is using!

Re: Location Report, City ID / Criteria ID

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Location Report, City ID / Criteria ID

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Did you find the answer? I'm in the same situation you were.