Analytics
3.1K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Location Information Is Incorrect

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I put analytics into an iOS app I am currently building. I am the only person who has logged into the app with the analytics in it. I am located in Vancouver, BC Canada and I am accessing the app on the simulator on my macbook using a "normal" ISP not cellular data.

The location information reported in the analytics dashboard is grossly incorrect. It says:

- United States  31.25%
- (not set)  25.00%
- Canada 12.50%
- Germany  6.25%
- Japan 6.25%
- South Korea 6.25%
- Australia 3.12%
-  China  3.12%
- Italy 3.12%
-  Puerto Rico 3.12%

Does anyone know what is going on? I can not find any support email address to contact the Google Analytics team. If this is how it reports one person coming from Canada these location statistics are going to be essentially useless.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Location Information Is Incorrect

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Abbey this seems to be a reaccuring theme today with incorrect location information, have you viewed the Real Time-->Overview report while testing your application to see what it is reporting. If you see that your testing is showing properly then I would look for spam anybody can use the measurement protocol and add your UA account number and send that dat directly to GA servers. Spam is another eaccuring theme here on this forum and I believe almost everyone if not everyone has subcumbed to the spammers at some point if your data set is small it is more noticable and causes a bigger issue. My site sees about 400,000 hits a day so in the long run the spam is hardly noticable. Tell me what you see in real time and we can go from their.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
When I look at Real Time there is nothing there even if I have the app open and I am really in it. We have GA in the Android app and that one is working fine. I noticed today mine also said 29 users for Tuesday whereas Android said only 2. Because of the delay in reporting I don't see yesterday's data yet.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am trying to post an image but unfortunately it keeps saying invalid html. The image is a screenshot of the Devices and Networking area where it says I have had 28 sessions on a computer and 4 sessions on an iPhone. The iPhone makes sense, I probably launched the app 4 times on Tuesday. The computer though could be spam. Most of the networks are not set but one is "amature radio digital communications" and one is "albert-ludwigs-universitaet freiburg". Would you think this is due to someone using the wrong analytics ID? 

We have GA in Android and it is correct. We need iOS to be accurate too. Any suggestions?

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
I would say those are spam if the host name is not your domain name. Spam could be the whole root of your issues. You should see your self in the real time reports unless you are filtering out your IP or something. Are you using the same GA account in both Android and iOS?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
same account but Android is -1 and we are -2. I don't see anything in the real time and I'm not doing any filtering.

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star
Abbey I dont have an app I can check with but I just used my phones browser to hit my public site and I saw myself show up. The only thing I can think of is to go into each views admin section and make sure the settings are identical. Also just verify again that your not filtering in this new view and if you are make sure the filter is not filtering out your hits. One other thing in your iOS app you are using the -2 in your UA parameter and not -1 by mistake.

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star
As a side note my phone is iOS, but using safari instead of an app.