Analytics
5.8K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Linking events: coupon entry failures to order completions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am wanting to find out how many people on our site enter coupon codes that fail (due to expiration, not meeting threshold, etc.) and go on to complete the order anyway.  Then compare that to the rate of coupon successes -> order completions and also the rate of no coupons entered -> order completions.

I have set up a custom event for tracking coupon successes and failures:

'eventCategory': 'Coupon',
'eventAction': "fail" OR "success",
'eventLabel': '[THE COUPON CODE]'

And there already is a custom event that tracks purchases:

'eventCategory': 'product',
'eventAction': 'purchased',
'eventLabel': '[THE PRODUCT]'

And there is also basic ecommerce tracking installed.  Can anyone think of a way for me to link the coupon event to the purchase event (or ecommerce transaction)?

If there isn't a way to do this, would there be any tracking I could set up to provide this kind of data?  I have full access to the application.  Thanks for your help.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

There are a few approaches here. You can use the precreated segment of users who purchased and see how many times they enter the coupon via that.  

Do you know how to use Segments? 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rory O
February 2017

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

I'd suggest you to use sequence segments for your tracking: segment for event coupon / success followed by product purchased, segment for copuon / fail followed by product purcased, segment for product purchased not preceeded by coupon events. here is some extended example of sequence segments use: http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2016/04/04/sequence-segments-more-accurate-reporting/

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ah, great!  No, I wasn't familiar with segments.  But I tinkered with it just now and I see it definitely does what I need and a whole lot more too!  This opens up a whole new world.  Thanks guys!

Re: Linking events: coupon entry failures to order completions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I ended up creating two different events, one that fires on successful coupon application, and one that fires when a coupon add fails:

'eventCategory': 'Coupon Fail',
	'eventAction': '[REASON]',

'eventCategory': 'Coupon Success',
	'eventAction': 'Coupon applied',

Applying a "Made a Purchase" segment to see how both groups convert is yielding some very interesting results.  However, I think the data is a bit skewed because during a single session both events are possible.  So for example I go to the site and try 2 coupon codes and both fail (this would show 2 fail events and 1 unique fail event), and then try a 3rd and it works (1 success event).

Is there a way to report on conversions from three groups?

group 1: sessions with just "coupon success" events that converted (and didn't convert)

group 2: sessions with just "coupon fail" events that converted (and didn't convert)

group 3: sessions with both events that converted (and didn't convert)

Open to any and all suggestions on how to do it!  If anyone has a different way to look at it or even to set up the data let me know.  I have full access to the server and can add or modify events as necessary.

Thanks much!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

@Rory O If you are using ecommerce to track purchases consider the following setup:
group1: include eventCategory exactly match Coupon Success and eventCategory does not exactly match Coupon Fail and transaction per session = 0

group2: include eventCategory exactly match Coupon Fail and eventCategory does not exactly match Coupon Success and transaction per session = 0

group3: include eventCategory exactly match Coupon Fail and eventCategory exactly match Coupon Success and transaction per session = 0

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks so much.  This sounds like what I need.  Can you tell me in what context you assemble this report?  Is it segments or a custom reports?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ah - I see now, segment builder.  I set them up, the results are a bit perplexing tho.  Check this out.  

If I view my two events directly:

Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 8.59.17 PM.png

That's fairly straightforward, but the secondary issue was that I wanted to be able to see how many people saw success only, fail only, and both (in the same session).

Using your advice, I set up a my first segment ("Coupon success event only") as such:

Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 9.08.00 PM.png

I left conversions out of it for now, just to keep it simple.  So when I add that segment to my original view, I get:

Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 9.08.12 PM.png

The two gray rows at the top "All users" and "Coupon success event only" make sense, but the rows below (#1 and #2) don't make sense at all.  Especially #2.  If I have filtered out all sessions with "Coupon Fail", shouldn't #2 "Coupon success event only" be 0?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, @Rory O

That's really awkward since manual states that "AND conditions in Session filters require that all conditions are met by any combination of hits within the same session". I'm trying to figure out how this happens now. However, I've found that other filters would  for you. Here is a piece of report from my account and segment settings:

segm1.pngsegm2.png

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

This condition filter seems to work in an uncomfortable way. In the case of event categories 'Does not exactly match A' matches any event but those of A. And here the dark side starts. If there are any other events in session, e. g. event B precedes event A then event B matches filter condition. So this session satisfies the filter.