Analytics
2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Linking Client-ID with User-ID

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi GA fellows,

Is there a possible way to link/map Client-ID with User-ID in order to track the behavior of users before they login?

Thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hey Husain, 

Interesting question ... you can pull client ID and there are various ways to do this. There are 2 ways that are demonstrated in the following link to pull client ID: https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Google-Analytics-Tracking-Goals/Exposing-ClientID-in-Googl...

As for User ID it would depend on how the type of naming convention you gave your User ID's. I guess theoretically you could pull a person's client ID and insert it as a User ID. I've never done this myself but i wonder ... 

@Nicky Y knows a lot more about this than I. Maybe he will have some good advice for you. 

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. Let me know if this sets you in the right direction! 

- Josh

Joshua, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Joshua,

Thanks for your reply!

Well, great news that this is possible! but, may you please fix the link? it seems broken or the page have been deleted.

Dear @Nicky Y appreciate your intervention.

Re: Linking Client-ID with User-ID

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi, @Husain A and @Joshua R,

Sorry for the delay in this. @Husain A have you had a chance to come up with a solution yet, or are you still stuck?

Let me know if you have any questions still re. the client ID.

Thanks.

Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

As far as I understand User-ID view should be able to be connected with actions prior to them getting their User-ID. 

Additionally you can treat a User-ID as a custom Dimension and accordingly create a custom report with both IDs.

Joshua, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’