Analytics
2.4K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

LinkedIn won't show full referral path

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When I view the "Referral Traffic" report for my website (all traffic / referrals), I can see LinkedIn.com is sending sessions. However, when I click on LinkedIn.com to find the full referral paths of the pages that are sending traffic, I only get "/" as the referral path. I believe I can use tagging to track links, but I'd rather not have to do this for each and every link we share. Is there an alternative to getting the full referral paths?

Thanks!

- Kevin 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: LinkedIn won't show full referral path

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
LinkedIn, like Facebook, tends to protect the actual source referrals by rewriting the referrals in the browser. Tagging the links is your only option.
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Re: LinkedIn won't show full referral path

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, Mike. So, you don't think changing our website to https will fix the issue? Is there any other (more convenient) way to track which LinkedIn posts and pages are driving traffic? It may be a challenge to get all the people in the company to use the link tagging tool.