Analytics
3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Link not opening in Internet Explorer

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Guys,

I have a new issue now. So We have the top navigation menu with many links that takes the user to other domains and subdomains (All these domains and subdomains are in GA universal). One link that takes the user to the vendor website is not opening in IE but opens in chrome and other browsers.

Eg. www.xyz.com is the vendor site and this site is included in our GA. So when the user clicks on this link in IE, the URL changes from www.xyz.com to www.xyz.com/?_ga=1.1324544353.3445345435.34235454 and the link dont open in IE. We can open the link by opening it in a new tab or new window but not in the same window by a normal left click.

Let me know if you need anymore details.

Thanks,

Navi

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Link not opening in Internet Explorer

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi, Navi,

That's odd behaviour if the link opens in another browser completely. For that to happen the browser needs to somehow access your computer (or least that's what I think). Have you tried in Chrome to see if it opens in another browser? Or Firefox?

The URL changes to include the GA client ID because you have enabled it to for cross-domain tracking, so that is completely normal behaviour.
Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks for the response Nicky. Yes I did try on other browsers and they work perfectly fine, even when the link inclides the GA client ID in the end. Am having trouble opening the link in the IE only when I wanna open the link in the same tab / window. If I right click and say open in a new tab or new window, the link open perfectly even in IE. The problem is when I left click to open the link in IE.

Thanks again,
Navi

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi, Navi, are you able to share your site and the link you are clicking?

Thanks.
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Yes Nicky, The website is nebraskablue.com, the link thats not opening in IE will be the "Buy a Plan" in the top navigation menu on the homepage.

Thanks,
Navi

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Thanks for sharing the link. I'm not seeing the issue you mentioned (the link opening up in another browser). Do you have some setting in IE that does this, or have you tried on a different computer? Do you know if other people have mentioned the same issue?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I will try it outside our office computer. Now that I realize, this could be a firewall secuirty problem. I will check this and will reply back.

Thanks,
Navi

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Nicky,

I did try from my home PC IE and had my friends try from their IE outside of work. We are still having the issue. in IE the link is appended by GA client ID and does not open.

Even tried opening the linkin the inprivate browsing (Incagnito for IE).

Thanks,
Navi

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Hi, Navi,

So just to be clear, the issue you were having was that when you clicked on "Buy a Plan" from Chrome, for example, the link would open up in IE. Can you confirm that that is still an issue. The second issue you believe to be happening is the appending of the GA client ID to the URL, correct?

The second issue is due to you applying cross-domain tracking to the link. Your link has an href of https://apply.nebraskablue.com/?_ga=1.PPPPPPPP.XXXXXXXXX.YYYYYYYY, and it looks like you are somehow adding that directly to the link. Universal Analytics already handles subdomain tracking, so you shouldn't need to add the _ga parameter to the link.

Thanks for clarifying.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Nicky,

Yes that is right.
We did not append the link manually, We used to see that GA parameter appended in the end afer we installed the GA chrome extension, but never in IE.

There are other external domains that our home site directs to and they all work fine and dont have the GA parameter appeneded in the end of the link.

Any help on fixing this issue will be amazing !!

Thanks,
Navi