Analytics
2.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Landing page w/ custom dimension report showing bad data

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I recently implemented a new custom dimension that tracks the page type.  For example, it tells GA that a certain page view is for a category page, a product page or a brand page.  I have this dimension's scope set to 'hit'.  Now that I have that set up and recording data for a few days, I wanted to check out the bounce rate of a specific page type.

So I pulled up the Behavior -> Landing Pages report and added a secondary dimension of "page type" (my custom dimension).  Then I used an advance filter to only show the pages where "page type" matches "category". At first glance, my report looked great. But when I look more closely, not everything makes sense.  One big thing that stands out is the pages per session.  In the top summary row, the pages per session is 12. That seems super high for my site.  I sorted the report by pages per session, and the page with the highest value was only 9 pages per session!  If every page in the report has 9 or less pages per session, how can the total row be 12?

Can anyone help me out with understanding this?  Screen shot below shows what I'm talking about.

Thanks!

gareportissue.png

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Landing page w/ custom dimension report showing bad data

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

You may want to check your scope and make sure your combining two scopes in this case hits and sessions.