Analytics
1.7K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Landing Page vs Landing Screen

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm little confused about Landing Page for a website and Landing Screen for an app.When it comes to web, a Landing Page is a page where user's session begins i.e. visit will be applied only to the landing page and not subsequent pages user visits in his session.

When I checked definition for Landing Screen, it's same. "A screen through which visitors enter an app.", now as my app is a financial app, there is no way a user can enter without entering his PIN Number, so ideally sessions should be shown against only PIN Screen, correct? But I see sessions for all the screens.

Can anyone make me understand what could be the reason?

Thanks!

Re: Landing Page vs Landing Screen

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

In that case 'Pi screen' would be the landing page for all the visits or sessions.

Session is a metric.

• Sessions: the number of times visitors are actively engaged on your website. Generally speaking, every visitor has at least one “session” when they visit your site, but they could have multiple depending on the circumstances.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I understand for web but as per the definition for an app landing screen, ideally visit should be applied to only that screen where user enters, correct? There is no way he can go to inner screen of app without entering his PIN on PIN Screen, so after he successfully enters an app, all the subsequent screen will have Screen Views and Unique ScreenViews and not visit. Makes sense?

Update: I checked for a logged in website also and there too, there are sessions assigned to pages after user logs in.

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

session and visit are one and the same.

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2731565?hl=en

GA changed “Visits” to “Sessions.”

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hiren,

Yes, what ever you mentioned is right, but as per theory for your financial APP, Ideally PIN screen should be the landing screen.

Hope you are too maintaining the ideal session time out same as Google Analytics pre defined, 30 min.

If you look at the user behaviour on APPs, I visited the your app, PIN screen and entered the credentials, post successful login left the app. But the app is active in the background on my device.

In the next day or after 30 min of ideal time, accessed the APP from where I left. In my 2nd visit my landing screen will be different than the PIN login screen.

Hence in your landing screen report you are getting almost all the screens of your APP as landing screen.

Hope this provides complete understanding of your .

Sam

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Sam,

That's a valuable reply but as it is a financial app, every time a session times out, user will have to enter his PIN to login again. To make things easier, it's same as we login to Internet Banking.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Please confirm on the Ideal session time out in your APP? Is it same as the Ideal time for GA session time out?

Also please check the 2nd screen for those session where the landing screen is not PIN screen. If my assumption is correct then you must see the 2nd screen as the login screen.

Sam

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Sam, Yes, it's a default time out of 30 Minutes and after PIN Screen, there is an account summary screen. All user must have to go to PIN to Account and then they get options of moving through App.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Check the 2nd screen for those session where THE LANDING SCREEN IS NOT PIN SCREEN.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
How do I check that?