Analytics
5.3K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Landing Page (not set) for traffic coming mostly from Facebook

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello!

Upon my request, my company's development team has recently implemented a plugin to track the scroll depth of visitors on our website. As the plugin has been implemented I noticed a surge in Landing Page (not set) showing up in the related report.

So far, the only pattern I'm able to detect is that the largest majority of visits generating (not set) Landing Pages come from Facebook (not campaign, just Facebook). More information: the proportion of desktop vs mobile devices/operating system/browser does not vary wrt the total traffic; the duration of the session is on average very short (10 secs), and obviously page depth is always 0.

My first suspect was the session timeout and an event that was fired after the session expires: I tried to lengthen the session duration, but this had no effect on the amount of (not set) Landing Pages. I also got in touch with the developer behind the plugin, who was more puzzled than me ahah.

Where else could I check for problems? I thought it might be related to a conflict between Universal Analytics and Google Tag Manager, is this possible? My experience with GA is limited (I usually work on the analytical side of the spectrum) and I would greatly appreciate suggestions on how to identify where the issue comes from!

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Landing Page (not set) for traffic coming mostly from Facebook

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Afternoon Floriana

The problem sounds weird to me. The only thing I could possibly think of is that the Pageviews is no longer being recorded and this should be the first thing to happens when is a page is loaded. It isn't possible that either the pageview track type is no longer selected in the UA tag in google tag manager by any chance?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Olufunmi, thank you for your reply! Pageviews are recorded normally on the rest of the site, this (not set) issue affects only 5% of the traffic more or less... Where can I check the pageview track type of the UA tag in the GTM?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
If that the case it only 5% of your traffic then it seems unlikely this is the cause but if you still would like to check I would

1) Open tag manager
2) Click tags and find your UA Tag
3) Click the tag
4) Look for configure tag: your should see Tag Type, tracking ID, adverting features and then track type. Next to track type you should be able to see Page view. If you cant edit the tag to make sure this is set.

The fact is only effecting 5% if your tracking suggest this is actually set up.

- Are you seeing any Landing pages from Facebook at all?
- Also do you have any other interaction types your trying to track as _trackEvent, _trackSocial, or _trackTrans (Ecommerce), but no _trackPageview hit.- These could be firing first.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi David, thank you for your reply!

Yes I can still see the traffic coming from Facebook, which we track with campaigns parameters. The traffic from Facebook that has (not set) Landing Page instead is a "pure" facebook.com referral (the referral you would get when someone copy paste the simple URL on a Facebook post).

I noticed this today: a blogger has shared one of our links with campaign info on her blog, yet I still got some traffic from her as referral (although the source parameter in the link should have overridden this). Clearly, all the traffic that I can see from this blog has a (not set) landing page (it is possible there might be more traffic from this blog, but I guess it is hidden into the campaign traffic bulk).

I'm not sure whether we have other interaction types in place, but I could assume that the scroll plugin I mentioned in the first post might use a _trackEvent interaction type? Although I'm really not sure, I'm gonna check this with the development team!

Thanks again for the help!

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Floriana,

Sometimes when the landing page has an event that fires at the same time, the event gets logged first. If the event is an interaction event, it becomes the first hit in the sessions, causing GA to record the Landing Page as (not set). It also messes up the Sessions and Entrances counts in some cases.

Check to see if the event tracking has been implemented as non-interaction events, plus make sure the first event is delayed from the initial page load if you can.
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.