Analytics
1.9K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Isolating traffic to one subsite using segments

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm analyzing traffic for a VERY large website, which has thousands of webpages and many subsites. I'm trying to isolate traffic to just ONE subsite at a time. I need to include historical data, so New Views/Filters won't work in this case unfortunately. I've read about using Segments and am trying this set-up:

CONDITIONS:

Sessions >> Include:

Page >> Starts With >> /subsite/ 

...but the data is definitely inaccurate. I read elsewhere that this set-up is session-based and therefore includes all pages these users are visiting, even those outside of /subsite/.  

Can anyone give me some insight on how to truly limit the segment to ONLY /subsite/ visits? Thanks in advance!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Isolating traffic to one subsite using segments

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Samantha,

your segment seems to be correct (if there is no view filter altering page URL structure).

However, you're mentioning that your website is very large. That normally means that with historical data the number of sessions may easily exceed the threshold of 500.000 sessions that lead you into data-sampling issues [1]. Do you see that yellow bar in the upper right of report pages? If so, your data is sampled, which means that smalller junks of data are increasingly inaccurate.

Unfortunately, there is no easy way around this - (a) buy GA Premium to get 50x more unsampled data (b) restrict to smaller date ranges, or (c) create filtered views where future data is unsampled in standard reports (but not in custom reports/secondary dimensions etc.).

Christoph

[1] https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2637192?hl=en

Re: Isolating traffic to one subsite using segments

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Christoph! I'm still working out the best solution to what I'm trying to accomplish, but I hadn't thought of what you mentioned about sampling size and will definitely keep that in mind.