Analytics
2.1K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Is there a way of calculating the average time between sessions?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I monitor a service that has a function allowing users to save their progress and return to it at a later date.

We're concerned users may be using this function erroneously when they intend to save and continue to the next page instead.

I'm trying to see if I can segment the traffic that save and sign out and return within a very quick time frame. I've managed to segment out everyone who used the function but so far I've only managed to find out which ones return quickly by looking at them individually in User Explorer and with several thousand instance per month, this isn't a viable solution!

Any ideas appreciated.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

If you are trying to see if the save page was the last page of a session, select sessions where Exit Page = save page.  The piece that is missing now is whether they returned...

Maybe it would be better to try to see which people return to a previously saved progress? Can you detect that by a URL parameter or something?  Then you'd be looking for sessions where people do not save AND they open a previously saved progress state.

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi @Mike S, thanks for the suggestion!

I can easily track users where the save page is the exit page and I can easily track users who return to the service (in theory, it's the only way the entrance page ISN'T the start page) but tracking the time between exiting and returning is the bit I'm finding tricky. 

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

You could create a goal around the full process your expecting the user to complete. Then add the goal completion into your segment.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks @Dave W! I do actually have goals set up but wouldn't this just tell me the users that have saved and exited and then gone on to complete? It still wouldn't give me much of an indication around time frame.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

If i understand it correctly you are wanting to find users based on the time passed from the first login, then logout, then re-login?

You could look to pass a custom dimension (or an event) after X time has passed after a login, then segment the users if they do or do not have this custom dimension / event.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

If they return within 30 minutes, they would be included in the same session.

After that, the only 'time' between sessions number available would be Days Since Last Session...measuring hours or minutes would require the use of custom dimensions.

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.