Analytics
5.2K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Is Organic data persisted the same way as Campaign data?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there - looking at the flow chart at https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6205762?hl=en#flowchart, I can see that if a user starts a Direct session, GA will look for existing campaign data from the user. If this data is present and within the property's campaign timeout period (6 months by default), GA will show the Direct session as the previous campaign.

Does GA also persist data from Traffic Sources such as Organic using the same logic and timeout period? It looks like this may be the case but the flow chart's divide between "Campaigns" and "Traffic Sources" has me a bit unsure. When a user hits the "Existing campaign data for client or user ID and property ID?" point in the flow chart when their only previous session in the campaign data timeout period was organic, is the session treated as organic?

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jamie G
March 2017

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Short answer - your assumption is correct.

Long answer - The attribution model is last non-Direct interaction, meaning Direct is ignored provided previous sessions were attributed to a source other than Direct and this information is preserved in the cookie, that is the cookie wasn't deleted prior to the Direct session.

Hope this helps. 

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jamie G
March 2017

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Short answer - your assumption is correct.

Long answer - The attribution model is last non-Direct interaction, meaning Direct is ignored provided previous sessions were attributed to a source other than Direct and this information is preserved in the cookie, that is the cookie wasn't deleted prior to the Direct session.

Hope this helps. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

That helps quite a lot - thanks very much!