Analytics
2.1K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Invalid or missing web property ID

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I just began using Google's Tag Assistant in association with Google Analytics. One of the errors I'm getting for my GA report is “Invalid or missing web property ID.” Can someone provide assistance with this issue or direct me to a Help page which addresses this issue?

I know from this support page the following:

The Google Analytics web property ID is not properly set within the Google Analytics JavaScript. The web property ID is used to associate the Google Analytics request to a specific Analytics website profile.

Failing to properly set the Google Analytics web property ID will prevent pageviews from associating to your Analytics website profile.

Solution: Ensure that Google Analytics web property ID in the Google Analytics JavaScript on your page matches the Google Analytics web property ID generated in your Analytics website profile.

However, can someone provide a little more simple info for us non-techs as to how this might be more easily addressed.

Thanks!
2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Invalid or missing web property ID

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi :-)
You need to have a look at the GA tracking code you have installed in your site pages
and make sure the UA# (also known as the Tracking ID or Property ID - its in a format similar to UA-12345678-1)
is the same as the one shown on the Property Setting page in Google Analytics for your web property

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello! Thanks for this info. Just double-checked and they are identical. What now?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Kevin :-)
Are you able to provide the website url so i can take a quick look via browser, to check if anything else may be causing the issue

Thanks
Bronwyn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Is UA-19420681-1 the Property?Tracking ID in your GA Interface on the Property Setting page?
If so, im not seeing any issues when i check the site with Google Tag Assistant or GA Debugger

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes, that's correct. Good to know you are not experiencing any error messages. And yet it's producing error messages (I've taken a screenshot, but unfortunately I'm not seeing anywhere on this forum where attachments can be included with posts) whenever I use Tab Assistant on the Google Analytics report page. It's the same “Invalid or missing web property ID” error messages. Any ideas as to why these error messages are showing up…? Thanks again!

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star
Kevin,

It looks like you are not using the Universal Analytics tracking code try upgrading to it and see if that corrects your issue.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
I'm sorry for not responding back before now Kevin. I did not see the notification.

If you are using SquareSpace's built-in integration for google analytics, it seems to insert the previous version of the tracking ga.js
To use the current version of tracking code, you will need to remove the tracking id from the built in integration and instead use their
code injection method to add the Universal Analytics tracking code snippet.
Further instructions on how to do this can be found here on their support pages:
https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/205815908

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks very much for this info! Truly appreciated. I will look into this and get back in touch if I need further assistance.