Analytics
3.5K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Interpreting Organic Search traffic in Content Drilldown Section

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm benchmarking organic search traffic for certain interior pages on a website, and I need to know how to interpret the data for organic search traffic for certain pages that are fairly deep within the site. For example, the Testimonials page within the "Orthopedics" section of hospital site - If I look at the content drilldown for that page, then add secondary dimension of Acquisition/Medium, it gives me Org traffic of 6, Referral of 95, and Direct of 2. For Organic traffic of 6, does that mean that 6 people came to that EXACT page via organic search, or does that mean that they may have come into the parent page ("Orthopedics") in this case, but still attribute it to Organic? I'm wanting to know if those 6 people landed right into that deep internal Testimonials page or not. Hope that makes sense and someone out in GA Land can clarify. Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Michelle M
July 2016

Re: Interpreting Organic Search traffic in Content Drilldown Section

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Michelle,

If you want landings, and you do, then I suggest using the landing pages report (you might use the content grouping feature to help keep things organized) and the built in organic traffic segment.

Does that make sense?

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
yes, I see what you mean and I think that is exactly what I want - that changes my numbers, and will be more accurate now. Thanks, Theo!!

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi Michelle,

No worries. Smiley Happy Enjoy!

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn