Analytics
4.6K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Internal IP is not being filtered at one laptop

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a problem with one of the filters to filter internal traffic. I want to filter the traffic which comes from one of our 3 ip addresses. Therefor I have set the following regular expression:

Filter traffic from Ip-adresses: xxx.xxx.xxx.|yyy.yyy.yyy.|ooo.ooo.ooo.

the 'x-ip adress and y-ip adress is from our local connections and the o-ip adres from our external workspace. 

When one of my colleagues goes to the website, they are filtered, so that goes fine. But when I go on my laptop to the website, my visit is not being filtered. Also am I shown in realtime a wrong location. The filter is set right, because it works fine with my colleagues. But

something goes wrong when I go the website on my laptop. I have no proxy installed.

Why does Analytics shows me a wrong location and why am I not filtered? Who can help me?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Internal IP is not being filtered at one laptop

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Have you created the filter using Custom > Exclude > select IP Address in the drop down?

I don't believe patterns work in the Predefined area, and so it might accept the first IP but ignore the rest.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi David,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have used a custom filter to rilter the traffic from the ip addresses
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Arjan G
November 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Arjan,

not too easy to answer ...

IP anonymization if applied can't be involved because it only affects the last octet of an IP, which you don't use here.

Even if one could use a tighter notation for the filter, like ^(xxx\.xxx\.xxx|yyy\.yyy\.yyy|ooo\.ooo\.ooo)\. that also doesn't change anything because your current filter works in your sitation as well.

Can you check with www.whatismyip.com if you actually share the same IP with your collegues?

Christoph

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Christoph,

Well something magical is happining now :-). I do share the same IP with my collegues.. but when I go to the website you suggest I get a different ip adres, one that looks like: 2001:845:c12a:5:ec34:46f9:e325:3cbb (changed the numbers).

When I add this one as a a predifined filter, it does filter my visits in real time report. So that seems to work. Weird things still is, why I'm shown at a different location and not filtered with the other ip, which is the same as me collegues by who it works fine...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Christoph,

We've solved the problem. Problem was the difference between ipv4 and ipv6. We've disabled the ipv6 now, and all the filters are working perfectly now! Thank for you help!

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Glad to hear!