Analytics
5.5K members online now
Understand information in your reports and troubleshoot reporting issues such as self-referrals, (not set) data, and inaccurate information

Guide Me
star_border

Incorrect Pageviews reporting

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm working with a very large site (~5 million visit / mo). I'm finding that a lot of traffic seems to be incorrect due to the same exact number of pages. Here is what it looks like...

domain.com/blog-post --- 10,400 pageviews (This data is good.)

domain.com/blog-post?fb_action_ids=10153062434320100&fb_action_types=og.shares --- 811 pageviews (Incorrect)

domain.com/blog-post?fb_action_ids=10152671998991933&fb_action_types=og.shares --- 811 pageviews (Incorrect)

domain.com/blog-post?lang=en --- 811 pageviews (Incorrect)

I'm seeing similar instances with the site search. Any ideas how I can correct this and report an accurate pageview per URL?

Thanks!

Jared

Re: Incorrect Pageviews reporting

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jared,

You should exclude URL query parameters that you don't want to see in your Site Content reports. You can also strip search query parameters out of URL.

Here's how you can do it (Admin -> View Settings):

query parameters.png

This doesn't have an impact on your data collection. It just helps you solve this "duplicate page" problem. If possible, you should figure out all those query parameters which add a ton of noise to your content reports and eliminate them.

If you'd like to learn more about that, I recommend reading this article: http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2015/04/17/strip-query-parameters-google-analytics/

Keeping clean content reports is important when you’re attempting to compare the performance of different pages on your site. 

One more thing - I highly recommend keeping one view unfiltered (raw data) as well. This view is there to make sure if anything unexpected happens to the data at least you have a backup saved somewhere. Actually, you should test those settings in your test view first, not in your master view.

Hope this helps.

Taavi

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Taavi,

Thank you for your response. The blog post was also very helpful.

To stick with the above example, If I remove all query parameters, will that remove the "811 pageviews" and leave the correct amount of pageviews? I will be re-pulling a lot of data, so I want to make sure I approach it correctly this time.

Thanks again.

Jared

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Jared, unfortunately, there is no way to alter historical data in Google Analytics. Those changes only apply to data gathered after those filters or changes are applied.

You can build segments and table filters in Google Analytics to analyze historical data and compare the performance of different pages.

Let me know if it helps @Jared B.

Taavi